Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yarn on Thursday - One!

Yarn on Thursday! Okay, other folks have Dogs on Thursday or Rabbits on Thursday... since the closest thing I have to a pet in my house right now is my yarn, that's what you'll get. Fortunately, this week, I've got some lovelies to share. I went on a wee bit of a local-dyer binge this week, and got Stuff to Try. And then had the fun of going through my queue to figure out what each one was going to become. (And yes, I turn my yarn into yarnballs of the outside-pull variety. I don't have a cat, so I can safely do this.)

First up, Stitch DC Georgetown happened to have the VERY COLORWAY (Donegan) of Three Irish Girls Beckon Stretch Merino that I had been thinking "hey, if I ever order something from them, it should be that!".


These will totally be turning into Leyburn Socks, because I want to knit a pair, and the pattern seems to show up just fine even on high-contrast colorways (like turquoise and brown). Yay! Donegal Leyburns!!

Next, Woolarina's superwash merino/silk, colorway "hp672-2p"... officially known "Neon Pink and Orange". Because the colors, to the naked eye, blend very well, these socks will have Dramatic Cabling And Stuff. Squeal!


Looking about, Anna Bell's Spindle Socks fit the bill perfectly! Yay!

Next, Sanguine Gryphon's "Sea Sock" in colorway "Standing Stones". Now, I already know I love Gryphon's yarn, since I think I have more socks started in it than anything else (two pairs finished, even - see here and here), and my favorite stole (Secret of the Stole II) is also of her yarn. (Hm. I really need to get a good photo of the FINISHED stole out on this blog. It's so beautiful, and I don't have a good shot of it! Criminal!!)

Lovely, soothing colorway - and lovely soothing socks will result. I have some commercially-made socks that I love (I know, I know, I'm a heathen) - and naturally, they're no longer made. Fortunately for me, they're very close to the pattern Evening Stockings for a Young Lady (sorry, Ravelry link only) in Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks, which just happens to be available through our local library system. So, I'm going to have a lovely warm pair of Favorite Socks!!

Last week, I bought a ball of Lorna's Laces in Sheperd Worsted, in colorway Woodlawn (the golden one on the right), so I'd have it... for when the rest of the Lorna's Laces came in this week. Which they did, and I chose some Green Line Worsted (100% organic merino!) in the Poppy colorway to go with it. This will be an alternating every two rows k1p1 scarf (not really a Noro scarf, since Noro is not involved, but using Jared Flood's idea for same). So this, at least, I knew what I was going to make when I bought it.
I love the scarf I made from the Lorna's Laces Worsted I bought at the beginning of the year. I've never had a 100% wool scarf before, because of previous itch issues which have thankfully gone away (I lost an allergy! I lost an allergy!) over time, and I have needed it on days like today when it's 13F when I leave the house! (That's, what, 2C? 3C? COLD!) It is, however, lovely and muted and matches my coat wonderfully. Which is not really "me". Thus, more color!!

I hope you've enjoyed this first installment of Yarn on Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely idea, Yarn on Thursday. I do believe I drooled over your yarn and I look forward to future Thursday's. Enjoy your lovilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohhh...they are so beautiful. Thursday can be a great day..I will be watching..

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...