Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Children require space, I'm told.

For those who envy my computer room *and* craft room... we're able to have these luxuries by not having any children that need space. (From what I've heard, children require space 'of their own' and things like food, clothing, playthings and other not-yarn items.) If we suddenly developed "children", my craft room would be history. (We'd need the computer at home to keep me sane.)

Back to yarn: About that headscarf... yeah, the one I accidentally started during last Thursday's "Yarn on Thursday" bamboo-fest. Here it is last week, with George:


I was a bit distressed, after my glowing review last Thursday, to discover that, after about 1/3 of a scarf (I think, it might be less), the tips of my lovely bamboo needles have been dyed blue. This is distressing mostly because (a) this isn't the way I want to turn my hair blue and (b) these are the needles I use to knit up my TKGA class stuff. Needless (or needleless) to say, I was a mite miffed. Wendy Johnson thought Murphy's Oil Soap might remove the dye, so I'm going to try that once the headscarf is done. When I block it (yep, we're gonna find out if bamboo blocks at all!), There will be a light layer of toweling betwixt the scarf and my little makeshift blocking board - because that has to survive for more TKGA class stuff, as well.


There's the scarf as of Monday - and you can see the blue stain on the needles pretty clearly. *Sigh*

On the other hand, I'm totally loving the way the pattern is working out, and it will be available as soon as I get the Final Pretty Pictures up and running. (I'm flirting with the idea of a free Ravelry download. Just for cred. Thankfully, the pattern is easy enough that I'm pretty sure I can write it correctly right out of the gate.)

/span>

2 comments:

  1. re: blue dye

    Blues and greens are the hardest dyes to wash clean, and it's possible that this yarn didn't set properly.

    When you wash your scarf, add a glug of vinegar to the wash. You probably won't have a whole lot of luck getting the blue dye off of the needles, but it shouldn't transfer to any other yarn that you knit with.

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me kids require more than 1 room. Sorry to hear the needles have taken on the color of the yarn. The scarf is lovely. I do the vinegar trick in any fabric that I think will run.denstr

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...