Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting back on track.

Tuesday night, I noticed it was cold. Not that it hadn't been cold for some time, but it was cold enough in my house, on my sofa, that my hands didn't want to knit.
This is Unacceptable.

Thankfully, earlier this year, I'd been charmed by a small photo in IK of the Winter Twilight Mitts, and, after Great Travail and Consternation, was able to get the pattern (which I promptly modified the stuffing out of, due to freakishly small hands and freakishly loose knitting). I actually finished the mitts. (Proof here.) And, Tuesday night - and again last night - I had occasion to wear them whilst attempting to knit on my couch.

Review of finished product:
These things are form-fitted to my hands, and, as such, are a bit tricky to get on. On the other hand, they're form-fitted to my hands, so nothing gets caught on the thumb or the cuff. For knitting, I made the finger part a bit too long - it still feels a bit awkward to knit (or so my left hand tells me). I'm not sure why, but then I also hadn't realized that my left pinky finger plays an integral part in my knitting, and that having warm, fluffy merino nestled in the inside curve of the middle knuckle on said pinky finger would throw me for a loop. So, I'm glad I made the darned things, and just turning the ribbing back does the trick, and I know that my next pair of mits should stop at the first palm-to-finger knuckle of my middle finger, and be no longer.

As to why all this was important, after last week's descent into knitted-rabbit-argyle insanity, I'm back on track knitting things that will allegedly help me get under 50 UFOs by the end of the year. (Stop laughing, I hear you. Yes, I know I'm at 66 right now. But the resolution was to be under 50, and I'm dedicating Thanksgiving weekend to tearing through the stash and figuring out if there's anything I'm actually not going to finish, or if there's anything I could finish in three days, etc.) Thus, last night I finished Hint #7 of SotS-II, and I'm chugging along on Hint #8 now. And, because every entry really should have a picture, here's the one for today:


P.S., Is it Friday yet?

1 comment:

Your tracks here...