Thursday, November 20, 2008

Murphy's Wednesday

Yesterday was one of those days when every little, silly thing that could go wrong did. Nothing major, nothing long-lasting or irreparable, but the weight of the hundred silly things piled up to the point that I cried when I discovered that someone had "cleaned out" my drawer in the fridge, and tossed out my Bacon Salt. It turned into, eventually, a nightmare that woke me up around 3:30 this morning, and, after waking up my husband to get much-needed hugs, I went out to the couch and finished reading The Lace Reader.


(Sites of interest: LaceReader.com and Brunonia Barry's blog.) It's one of the better books I've read for some time, if only because the entire pattern is *right there* through the book, but I didn't see it until the end. I probably should have, but I didn't. Masterfully done.

As a result of Murphy's Wednesday, I started yesterday with just under eight rows left to go on Hint #8 for SotS-II, and joined in the fourth and final ball of yarn. Eight tiny rows until the home stretch... so, naturally, the plan was to "forget" to come back from lunch for an extra fifteen minutes, just so I could finally be on the FINAL HINT. This SO did not happen. Thus, today, instead, I'm hoping to get to Hint #9. As I did no knitting at all on the commute in, I've stopped seeing this as realistic.


On the Noro Mobius Scarf front, there was an "interesting" development. Noro yarns tend to the scratchy and straw-like, but I'm assured they vastly improve upon careful washing with a wee dram of conditioner. Silk Garden, I hear, is the softest after-the-fact. However, it would behoove one to first, before washing, remove all the thorns. Yep, that's right - I pulled a THORN out of one of my stitches after it felt beyond reasonably scratchy. (This was Murphy Wednesday's Second Small Thing Gone Wrong.) I wish I'd kept it to get a photo, but I flung it away at the bus stop. A THORN. That would've hurt, a lot, on a tender ear - or, heaven forbid - EYE. Nothing similar has been found thus far today, but believe me, I'll be keeping my fingertips on Thorn Alert! And I was bad, and the only thing I worked on was this project, regardless of where I was (but trust me, most of it classified as "waiting"!!). Murphy Days require mindless knitting.

DAILY RABBIT COUNT: 22, putting me the required two rabbits ahead for the date. It looks like one rabbit takes about 40 minutes, or an hour, if TV is *really* interesting. I'm looking forward to having all the knitted squares finished, so I can start rabbit assembly. They're going to look a bit wierd, I fear, since I've run out of several colors before getting to the ears. And that's really how you can tell that nothing major was wrong yesterday, even if it felt that way: I still knit my Daily Rabbit.

2 comments:

  1. Still confused about the rabbits. I'm sorry you had a bad day yesterday, I sure hope today is better for you. I'm going to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you can't just lock up a boy bunny and a girl bunny and let them reproduce like rabbits.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...