Monday, September 8, 2008

*Almost* a new project, but not quite...

I didn't finish the diaper holder on time, but I have until, say, the beginning of October (the baby is due mid-November) to get it done and shipped out, along with an adorable Winnie-the-Pooh "sketch" set I've finished stitching, but need to frame. Photos of it all when everything is ready to go.

I wasn't brave enough to blog it when it happened - but I had a Sock Incident last Thursday night. You see, I'd learned about the Six Sox Knitaling through someone (aka Knackful Knitter), so I had to join. I was approved on Wednesday, and Thursday, messages started filling my inbox. About the lovely socks for August. "Autumn Lace", meant to be both lace *and* a mite warmer than the usual lace. Really lovely. And I just happen to have 50g of TOFUtsies in green and orange left, which is enough for two small socks - especially if I make them to fit my feet, which are evidently closer to size 6.5/7 in the real world, rather than the size 8 I had thought they were. My feet are boxy, and wide - but small. Dress shoes are smaller than boots (boots, I wear size 8 so I can wear heavy socks). Socks should, ergo, fit like dress shoes. **headdesk**

Back to the Sock Incident. Autum Lace socks done in pumpkin colors, with cute little picot edging (which was WAAAAY easier than I thought it would be, thanks to having already made a similar cuff-top in my Nutkin socks. I first weighed the yarn I had left, balled it up so I had two equal-weight balls of each color, and actually managed to find my size one Addi steel DPNs. (These are my favorite DPNs, hands down. They're not flexible, I'm not worried about breakage, and people leave me alone as I KIP, since they usually just see SHARP POINTY SPIKE!! and not necessarily what I'm doing with it.) And, of course, there was a shot I'd get one more completely unexpected entry into Summer of Socks. Now, 50g of sock yarn may not sound like enough for socks - but take the sizing (and the looseness of my knitting) into account: instead of casting on 64 stitches (8 patter repeats' worth), I only cast on 48. I have a quarter less foot than normal folks, so not only will this sock go fast, I will now remember this for all future socks. (I did the same thing on my Briar Rose Socks from the Fairy Tale Sock Club run by Sanguine Gryphon, but hadn't remember to do so on the next pair of socks I made. This will also make me designing socks for other people a bit more complicated!)

None of this, of course, really excuses the fact that I started yet another project - and it wasn't even one that was on my short list of things to start next! Aaaaaaaiugh!!

Edit: Actually, I frogged them, so it's OK. I need to re-start on size two needles so that the 48 will work just a wee bit better. So, off the list, for now. *Phew!*

3 comments:

  1. WHAT!! No pictures???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew - dodged that bullet! LOL
    I am glad to see that someone else I know has small feet; all the sox are sized for amazon women with amazing-sized feet! I will have to chat with you about how to resize as I am new to the whole sock knitting thing (actually really, really new b/c I have put off knitting them b/c my feet are smaller than most folks - an oxymoronish fact given my waist size, but we won't go there, eh?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my WIPs down to 3, but I'm going on a starting binge. It's too fun.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...