Friday, September 12, 2008

Why I will always have UFOs.

Well, I'm knitting away on SotS-III, and I realize that one of my snowflake/sunburts (the first one) looks like a rat's nest instead of, well, a snowflake/starburst. This Cannot Be. So I had to frog back to where it began, and by Tuesday morning, was back up to where I had been A.F. (Ante Froggorime). Tuesday was declared to be "uninterrupted knitting day" - sort of. I did have to actually do some work at work, but it's been really, really quiet this week (calm before the storm, I'm betting), so there was a wee bit of knitting-under-the-desk. Not much, since Bright Yellow yarn is hideously hard to hide, which is, after all, the point of Bright Yellow yarn. But there was some, enough to finish Hint #1 back up by the end of lunch and get a decent start on Hint #2. Tuesday evening was devoted to finishing up Hint #2, which totally didn't happen. Since this weekend is likely to be rainy, with very little going on but for dinner with friends on Friday, I'm hoping to get somewhat caught up on the whole thing, now that I've started. (Or at least only two hints behind.) (If I need a break, I can go right back to knitting SotS-II, right?)

What happened on Wednesday was I found Karabella Cashmere at a price I could almost justify (thus bought anywya). I have a second ball on hold, which I will pick up today. I presently have half of a Star of the County Down Tam (first picture is closest to the actual color of the yarn):

Yarn Accident, 9-10
Karabella Supercashmere - 50% OFF!!

Star of the County Down Tam,
Post-Lunch on Wednesday


Entire top of Tam = One Ball of Supercashmere

Everything you see knitted was done either at my desk on Wednesday, or on the ride home. I figured one ball of yarn - "lacy hat" should work, right? This stuff is SUPER soft (as it should be!), and knits up really fast. I'm using a size 3 circular needle (16") at this point, and it just FLIES. I have to add that the "second star" got entirely frogged (something had gone horribly, horribly wrong) and re-knit. And still, the ball was gone at the end of the day. I wish I'd just gone ahead and bought the extra ball, because then I'd have the Tam done right now. As it is, I'll have it done in time to show it off to friends tonight.

Since I took yesterday off, I hit the local needlework store after my headache-from-heck finally went away, and bought a cute new little canvas, on sale since it was the first day of the Trunk Show.


All the white bits that are stitched will glow in the dark, and this, too, will be done before the end of the weekend. And I'm trying the new Mandarin floss - it's 100% bamboo, six stranded. Works up like silk; it's a bit shreddier, so use shorter lengths than normal. The Silk Splendor is 12-ply and they've worked the shred out, so I still prefer it, but the bamboo was cool to try. It, like the silk, will improve over time. Yay for new things to try!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute little pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love top down hats. They fit so much better.

    I won't report you to the WIP police. I'm looking forward to casting on a bunch of stuff like it's secret icecream.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...