Monday, September 29, 2008

My First Spin-In

This was the weekend of Learning How To Spin. Now I *have* actually used a drop spindle. At Sully Plantation, for about an hour, during the American Bicentennial. I was very, very little. As such, I began as a total newbie, since things one does for an hour decades ago don't really count towards actual knowledge points (usually). I was first given the Spinny Stick lesson with some designated Junk Yarn. The spinny stick was a shiny orange-copper double-ended crochet hook, probably about an N, and was almost as fascinating as the lesson. (I'm all about shiny orange-copper things.) Once I figured out how the twist in the yarn was actually happening, and the whole "drafting" thing (which is vastly different in NASCAR, by the way), and "parking" thing (again, different with cars), I was entrusted with a spindle. I was told only it was a collectors' item. (This makes sense, since the Lovely L collects such things.) Here is the spindle:


Turns out it's quite rare, and quite valuable. It's made of resin, is virtually indestructable, and, oh yeah, really beautiful. It was very easy to play with, once my left hand figured out what my right hand was doing (mostly by copying what Bunnysquirrel was doing). I ended up getting this much stuff spun (the lumpy white stuff on the bottom, not the really evenly-spun lovely grey stuff at the top):


I know, it doesn't seem like a lot, but I eventually figured out important things like making sure What Goes Into The Spindle is even - because then what comes out is even, and how to slide my hand along to do the drafty-thing. It was pretty cool!!

The Spin In contained Lovely L (hosting), Gryphon, Dragonfly Kate, CraftyGryphon (me), Bunnysquirrel and Eutrapelia. I now know Many (i.e., more than three!) actual spinners. And boy, did I get to see all sorts of spinning wheels. There's Saxony wheels (the classic Sleeping Beauty style), Castle wheels (upright, and I swear you could put stained glass in the back for the pretty), and the magic tilty-wheels like Kate had, which I belive was a "Louet" (if I'm wrong, please correct). If I actually get up to the point of Spinning as a Hobby, I'd eventually get a wheel, but probably one of Doug Dodd's Pocket Wheels, because in my house, it's all about SPACE. I don't have anywhere to *put* a wheel! (The sad thing is we got rid of my great-great-grandmother's beautiful Saxony wheel when we cleaned out my grandmother's house "because we'd never use it". The woman who got it was thrilled - I'm pretty sure she got a MAJOR deal, since we didn't know what we had. Sigh. And my husband wonders why I never want to get rid of anything...)

ANYway, the spinning thing might happen. I spent Sunday's NASCAR race both wondering why my driver couldn't figure out "speed" and "pit road" (he got black flagged TWICE for the same violation!!) and spinning up a bag of decorative spider web, which actually had a lot of the same properties as the junk wool L had given me to learn on. It didn't feel nearly as nice, but the stuff about pre-drafting, and being careful, and spinning and all that was about the same. When I got careless, I got chunky yarn, when I really paid attention and was careful, I got stuff that would actually knit up fairly easily. Oh... and I kinda made my own spindle out of a cheap wooden candle-stitck and a cup hook. It didn't spin as smoothly as the really beautiful resin spindle, and it didn't have hold-the-yarn-here notches, but it worked! I got about an ounce of non-flammable polyester yarn when all was said and done.


Yarn in Progress

Look! A Ball of Actual Yarn!

I mean, look at that. It LOOKS like yarn. I'd need to get another bag, spin it up, and ply it to make it actually work as yarn - unlike wool yarn, this stuff doesn't really stick to itself, so the twist has to be pretty tight. As it is, I'm going to search through Etsy and find a spindle I like . . . well, okay, I found one, but I need to wait a week for the check to the credit card to clear before I buy it. But I think this "spinning" thing may actually become a Something!

4 comments:

  1. Almost.

    Kate's wheel is a Lendrum double treadle wheel. It is also considered to be a castle style. The spindle you were playing with is a Mongold Norge.

    If you're going to buy stuff to spin, please don't buy spiderweb stuff. Please do yourself a favor and buy actual wool. Call Paradise Fibers or Ohio Valley and order 1lb of plain wool (I think that Louet calls it "Colonial" wool top).

    Call me before you buy a spindle. If you buy a spindle that is too light, you're going to have difficulty.

    Lastly, I'm going to tell you to stick with spindles for a while. That Pocket wheel is cool and all, but it's not designed to be an only wheel. I'm also going to recommend that you try different wheels before you buy one. Each one operates a little differently in both the kind of breaking system and the treadle feel is different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. My first yarn looked like road kill. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on learning to spin! I, too, learned the drop spindle this past weekend. I learned on a turkish spindle, but then bought a top whorl because, to be honest, I could afford a top whorl and not a turkish. And I think I actually like the motion of the top whorl better, but the convenience of a turkish can't be beat.

    Anyway, I too have been practicing and getting better. Do you feel like I do? I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mouah ha ha ha!!! welcome to another fiber craft! :-D

    I found spinning endlessly frustrating at first. I haven't spun with a spindle -- just a wheel. And while I still have to hone my skills, now I love it -- enough to drop more dough than I ever thought I'd spend on a hobby on a wheel. O:-)

    and congratulations on learning to spin! now you'll get addicted to looking at all the different magical fibers for sale.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...