Monday, September 22, 2008

It seemed like a long weekend...

Got home Friday night, late, and found a box waiting for me, yay! The third (and final) installment of the first Fairy Tale Sock Club had arrived. I didn't have much energy left, but I had enough to wind up my three little balls of yarn so I'd be ready to start knitting on Saturday:


Over the next two days, I managed to get one sock knit up to the ankle, with a LOT of edits to the pattern. Compared to Gryphon P., the designer, I must have (a) freakishly small feet and (b) knit really, really loosely. Even with size 0 needles, I couldn't get gauge, no matter how tightly I pulled. So, the knitting math began. What ended up working was cast on 24, increase up to 48, then up to 60, then 64 (then back to 60, then 59, then back to 60). Keeping mulitples of four, eight and sixteen were crucial in some places for the pattern to go around prettily - and, thankfully, I figured out how to make it work. Did my own short-row heel which worked great on one seam, not so great on the other (thankfully, I have a tutorial on how to overstitch and fix that hidden on my computer somewhere), but got it done up to the ankle-band, and it fits perfectly. Yaaaaay! Less blurry photos will be available once everyone has their kits for sure.


top

bottom

Sunday afternoon, I got to go to Amazing Art, a paint-your-own-pottery place up somewhere related to the Rockville Metro Station, but a good drive from there. I did get a break from knitting (although not much of one; I was actually knitting once I'd finished my painting). I also created art: A happy Sun Face for my new bathroom, whenever I get around to painting it, and a goofy-looking White Tiger Cub for my friend, MG, who kindly drove me around. (It's actually for her daughter, but as she has two children and I didn't think to make something for her son, it's Mommy's Tiger. I must remember multi-offspring diplomacy in the future.)


Watched some sports (My guy, Clint Bowyer, went up in the NASCAR standings with a good finish at Dover; my Broncos pulled out another they-really-shouldn't-have win against the Saints, and the Skins won.) Decided that my crochet-hook method will NOT work on the leg of the socks, so I'll be knitting the other foot up to the ankle and *then* worrying about how I'm going to handle the beads. Going to try to knit at my desk again today....!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It *is* coming along beautifully! I can't believe how tiny that is. I do think you knit loosely, and the 80 st circumference of the original is pretty big, but 20 sts less is a lot. Anyway, impressively fast work, especially with all that math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo what a nice sock, they are going to be spectacular when done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice of you to post NASCAR stuff so I can pretend to know what my husband is talking about when he calls.

    I got the creepy sweater picture on Flickr. I have too much free time.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...