Thursday, December 30, 2010

An Unexpected Bunny

For the last of my Headmistress Challenge bunnies, I was going to do something for the New Year, or New Year's Eve, but it didn't quite turn out that way. Due to a lack of the proper ecru yarn, and a surfeit of pink, I got an Idea. I made pink ears, and decided she needed a scarf or something. So, I knitted a quick garter scarf, and tacked the ends together.

Yeah. I noticed it, too. It's a Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon. It works beautifully as a scarf, sure, but suddenly, this bunny Meant Something. I can't think of anyone I know that hasn't been touched by this terrible disease in some way. I have several friends who have lost mothers, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, daughters. I'm really hoping that 2011 will be The Year Cancer Is Finally Cured.

Back to the less-serious knitting - it's the usual plain bunny from Heartstrings Fiber Arts, which is, I believe, the pattern I've knit more than any other at this point; it just makes me happy to knit it. I changed the ears a bit, which are now co 9 stitches for 16 rows stockinette, then k1, knit next two stitches together (s1k1psso for most people, I think), then knit next three stitches together (not even gonna try, I know how I do it and no one else seems to do it my way), then k2tog, k1. Purl a row, then do a five-stitch bind off (like on the top of a celtic loop). It makes the ears nice and round, and more bunny-like than the somewhat pointy ears I've made before.

She looks lovely in her scarf, I think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm slogging through my first bunny at the moment - as usual I cast on too many cos I'm a tight knitter and ended up overestimating so it's going to be over 8 inches. I was thinking of a scarf and the pink would be appropriate - I know too many people touched by cancer including about half my family. Your modified ears are cute!


Your tracks here...