Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday Miscellany

Yesterday, I turned in my Ancient Runes assignment, which was to look at a not-our-alphabet, research it, and make something based on the research. This is what I did:
Since I'm trying out new things and learning new stuff in language, I decided to try something new in knitting: a dishcloth. (I've never made one before, somehow!) I have this pretty cotton yarn, and instructions (which, I should add, I completely ignored, deciding to go with the flow instead):


And I was able to turn it into this little dishcloth, my first one ever. It's a feather-and-fan over 11 stitches, with four edge stitches on either side. I did the white bits in garter stitch, so they'd stand out. I learned that for me, my acrylic needles seem to work best with cotton - has anyone else noticed this?


If you look, you'll see it's foamy at the bottom, then the green , then purple , then the blue on the top!
Turns out the circular cast-on that I learned from Jared Flood also works for crochet!!


I finally gave up on the lovely Tiger Eye shawl idea. I've started this thing five times, and this is the furthest I've ever gotten - just over one pattern repeat. I love the yarn, I love the idea of this yarn in this shawl, but it is Just Not Happening. Time to frog.


One


Two



Three

... and Done.

For Herbology, I'm attempting this whole "picture dishcloth" thing. I like the ones with pictures, so I thought I'd try designing my own. It needs a tiny image, right? So I found this in one of my logic puzzle books.


Just followed that as a chart (with appropriate borders), and got this.


As you can see, it's pretty narrow for a discloth, and VERY short. Won't do at all. (Frog city!) Instead, I broke out MS Paint and made a pineapple of my own, and did 40 stitches by 55 rows overall, with five border stitches/rows and two framing stitches/rows around.


Now I just have to knit the thing, and see if it actually works!!

3 comments:

  1. When designing knitted items, remember that the chart boxes are NOT SQUARE. Knit stitches are taller than they are wide. Swatch that puppy, or you may end up with a tall and skinny pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors in the cotton yarn! So bright and springy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily, my it's-too-short dishcloth worked lovely as a swatch, if nothing else!!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...