Wednesday, June 16, 2010

And now, for something completely different.

So, I was supposed to have hour upon hour of uninterrupted knitting time on Sunday afternoon. The first part went well (during the Michigan race), and I finished stitching my Happy Sun seat cushion, finished up Hamish's scarf, and finished crocheting my second hyperbolic scrubbie. After the race was a Project Runway marathon, and more knitting time. Right?

WRONG.

Afterwards was making tea sandwiches. A dozen DOZEN tea sandwiches for a tea at my mom's workplace on Monday. So you really understand what level of daughterly devotion was operating here, it was (a) NOT KNITTING, (b) COOKING related, and (c) happened AFTER I overheard Mom volunteering me to knit more things for my sister's baby-to-be - which I'd specifically asked her not to do until after the baby was born/HPKCHC term was done. I find out that there's sandwich making around 3pm, and, since there appeared to be panic volunteer to help.

Without finding out how many sandwiches were involved first.

My cousin, who frequently does involved food-prep posts on her blog, is probably rolling her eyes/gasping with horror right now. Never *ever* volunteer for food prep without getting exact quantities detailed first. Turns out the number needed was "about 150".

Friends, let me tell you, that's a lot of tea sandwiches. First, there was making the filling. First up was Egg Salad (a smell I can't stand), enough for four dozen sandwiches. Then cream cheese, which is actually either cream cheese olive, or cream cheese and cucumber, which is pictured here:


There were four dozen of these. Mom filled them and made sure the filling was spread evenly; I then trimmed off the crusts and halved them. They got stacked, in layers of eight per layer, three deep in these lovely plastic boxes, with moist towels to keep them nice until consumption hour.


Then into the fridge with them. The fridge, in its current configuration, would only hold four boxes - which was a problem, as there were also four dozen tuna salad sandwiches! So, one of the shelves had to come out, the apples had to roost in the onion bin, and the giant bottle of syrup... well, I'm not sure what happened to it. For that matter, I'm not sure where it went, either.


Six hours later, everything was put away, washed up, cleaned, packed, and otherwise finished. And as there had been just enough tuna fish and bread for two more little sandwiches, we made them.


And then ate them. And they were good. But still Not Knitting.

SIGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...