Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Storage Unit Yarn will Save The Day

I have to say, doing HPKCHC is making me a much more prolific knitter, which requires I become a more efficient knitter as well. I'm not faster (noticeably?), but my Knitting Time is carefully budgeted. And usually related to "hey, what's the next deadline?"

Since my O.W.L. requires me to wear hot, sticky gloves (which I can only bear for about an hour or so at a time), that's my commuting/lunchtime project, which gives me a wee bit of time in the late evening to do something else, and next-up on the deadline list is my homework for the classes I'm taking at the TKGA convention the first week in July. I've got one class knitted (but not washed & blocked, which for this one, is required - it's Arenda Holladay's Gauge Class):


Once I've got my four classes done, the next thing up is to get a WORKABLE plush finch going for my dad. I'd like to give him a nestful, but the results thus far haven't been great - so I'm blaming the wool. Luckily, the top/front yarn bin in the storage unit yielded this:


... which will work great. Actual finches are kinda colored like this:


Photo by Sally Isacco, Chardon Ohio, April 21, 2009

And the chicks look like this:


Photo by Amazing Grace Photography, May 18, 2007

I'm going to try to hit something between the two, since the point of the little plush birds is to use Caron "Feathers" in the Purple Finch colorway:


No, I couldn't find a better pic on the 'net.
Plus, I think it's been discontinued.

I'm figuring two-stranding. Over purple worsted wool didn't work, so I'll be trying worsted white, and sport-weight blue, sparkly blue and purple to see what gives me the best result. Need to have these done before I get on the plane headed north. Should be interesting to see what I get; my dad's a birder, and I don't want to embarrass him (or myself) with something that doesn't look even remotely correct. (I at least need to get the eyes/beak/feet the correct colors, for example.)

In completely different news, this morning, as I was already running late to work, my last-ditch effort at getting caffeine was almost aborted. See that "Coke Zero" sticker here?


Yeah. That one. The one that's clearly pasted over my Cherry Coke button. The ONLY place downtown I could score Cherry Coke, which doesn't seem to cause me as many issues as Dr. Pepper... which is now my only option. Grrrrr. This combined with having to wait another 40min out in the heat (I don't DO heat) until my bus finally showed up to get me to work late (unsurprisingly), pretty much put a dimmer on my day. Things had better go swimmingly otherwise today, or There Will Be Cranky!!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like there's Barq's root-beer under the Coke Zero, get that? Barq's is the only root-beer that has caffeine in it. That's why their slogan is "A bark with a bite." Neat random info, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, most root beer doesn't like me much... although if I don't find Cherry Coke soon, I may try it, just to see!!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...