Thursday, August 11, 2011

Crocheting an Azalea Bush, quite by accident

Slytherin House is doing a Summer Crochet-Along (CAL), and one of the patterns chosen is the Elise Shawl (Rav link). This has been in my stash for quite a while, since I figured it would be a good thing to try my handspun on (such as said handspun is). Last time I was at Fibre Space (to pick up my four skeins of Miss Babs Yowza! in Russet for my Girl From Auntie Rogue Hoodie), I bought Fun Yarn. It's Neigbhorhood Fiber Co., and I think it's Studio Sock. Not sure on the colorway - I've been calling it my Watermelon Yarn, but I know that's not the actual name. (Heaven only knows what happened to the tag.)

Anyway, I cast on using the lovely little hand-carved wooden hook I got at the TKGA conference last year (it didn't work for worsted-weight yarn, since the groove is so sharp, but it's perfect for sock yarn). And the color pooling started happening... and I was entranced by it. Here's a photo Wednesday morning:


It's going to look like a flower-garden print when it's done, and I think it will be *beautiful*. For a minute or two after I got to the end of row 6, I was confused... it appeared to be the smallest shawl ever, and I was pretty sure the pattern photo showed a human-sized shawl, not a Barbiedoll-sized shawl. Then I read the writing in the lower right corner: "repeat rows 5 and 6 11 times". The written instructions also include "or until desired size". Here's what I have so far:


Since it's crochet, it works up very, very quickly. I like the fact that it almost looks like a floral print (or an abstract of a floral print); and it will be ready to wear in time for the TKGA conference, too! I think I will have it done by the end of the weekend, and then it's back to knitting the K-Pop Shawl and my OWL swatch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...