Thursday, July 24, 2008

Really pretty sock pattern - found!

I avoided knitting socks for a really long time. Socks seemed to call for wool (to which I can have bad reactions). Socks required doing the same thing twice, and I'm lucky to finish one thing once. Socks required some sort of footwear to show them off. Clogs, usually, which I can't wear comfortably because of my knees, or sandals, which I won't wear. (It's a long story. I used to ice skate. Use your imagination.)

Then I saw the Nutkin socks. My mother is more than slightly obsessed with all things Peter Rabbit (and Beatrix Potter by extension). Peter Rabbit was the first book I learned to read; Squirrel Nutkin was the second. And squirrelkind and I have a long, eventful (if adversarial) relationship. It seemed, if I was ever going to try a sock, Nutkin would be it.

So I did, and they happened. Both of them. The next pair I knit was my own Fern Lace Socks design. Then a basic sock, just to see what would happen (photos and pattern will be forthcoming). Then the Briar Rose Socks from the Fairy Tale Sock Club. Now I'm working feverishly on the Sekrit Projikt (which, surprise, is socks), and thanks to my Ravelry friends, I found The Glamour Socks by Stephanie van der Linden. (It's a Ravelry link, sorry, they don't appear to be out in the world elswise.) I think these are the most beautiful socks I've ever seen (which isn't to say there aren't prettier socks out there; I think it's a matter of taste, and this is evidently mine), and I just happen to have the perfect yarn and beads to make them.

No, really, I do. Of course, I got the yarn at the big 20% off sale at Stitch DC in Georgetown - which I totally didn't know was happening - last night, and the beads on the way into work this morning. It's the Katia Mississippi3 Solid White. But I'm doing pink beads, with green "leaf" beads underneath. Because I never met a pattern that didn't get some sort of personal touch.

At least I paid in cash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...