Friday, May 16, 2008

Finished Fern Lace Toe-Up Socks!

Okay, so, the UFO count is getting back to where it was at the start of the year. Progress in May, thus far, has been pretty good.
  1. Finished my third Yarn Candy headband, in some sort of lace from the Barbara Walker Treasuries.
  2. Finished the current Michael Powell XS project. (I count all my crafts in my UFO list.)
  3. Unraveled Tailored Scallops II - it wasn't gonna happen. Must now find new sweater for pretty grey yarn.
  4. Realized that I was never, EVER, going to finish my little canvaswork winging-it mandala, and pitched it. I feel bad for wasting the lovely fibers already in it, but enough is enough is enough. This is as far as I got:
    It's just never gonna happen.
  5. And, oh, finished my Fern Lace Socks!!!

See? They are sooooo pretty! It's my first original sock design, and they went quickly, and didn't come *close* to using a whole ball of TOFUtsies! Also, the UFO count is back to 60 almost UNDER 60 now. If I am a Diligent Gryphon, then I should be back to being headed back to the right direction (under 50) soon!

Anyway, back to the socks.

First, the sock started small.
But look at how well it fits my foot!

Getting the ankle-bit worked better
than I thought it would, too!

Putting 20 rows of ribbing in my arch helped.
Getting it on the proper part of the foot
for the second sock was a challenge!

I really like the Fern Lace.
It worked well, and would be good for
tall socks when you don't have a lot of yarn.



They make my feet happy!!

6 comments:

  1. Cool socks! I just started a pair of sockinette that are full of rainbows:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Socks are awesome!!!!! Congratulations on the design. I think you got me beat as far as UFOs. I'm afraid to count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your Fern Lace socks! The lace pattern looks great and it works really well with that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was soooo happy to find someone who had knitted some toe-up socks using TOFUsty yarn. I saw some & was overcome with yarn lust & bought it even though it was, for my budget, expensive. I was glad to find out that I'll be able to get a nice pair of socks out of one skein. The fern pattern is especially effective in the green yarn. I also plan to do a lace pattern for the leg portion -- dif. patt. as my yarn is purple. I have a couple of semi-technical question that I hope you will answer.
    1. What is the length of the socks you knitted from ankle to top?
    2. Did you do any increase/decrease stitches in the leg portion? If so you have my utmost admiration for staying in pattern -- how did you do it?
    3. How well do they stay up & did you add any elastic? I'd hate to spend a lot of time knitting a pretty lace pattern only to have my socks end up bunched around my ankles.
    Your stuff is so pretty. You've obviously been knitting much longer than me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Cindy (I've gotta figure out how to reply to comments on Blogspot...):

    1. Ankle to top (quickly measures leg) was about 13".

    2. The pattern is actually quite stretchy; I lucked into the right needle/stitch number combo that I hit pattern at the ankle and stayed there.

    3. I did quite a few rows (10? 12?) of ribbing at the top, plus they're over my calf (knee socks, really), so they stay up just fine.

    CAVEAT: I have, since I made these socks, discovered that I knit *extremely* loosely. Normal people who knit so that about 64 stitches = the width of their foot (I think I was using 48 on these!) may not get two knee socks out of a ball of tofutsies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for answering my questions!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...