Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tiny Circular Needles = Fun!!

Wonderful fun this weekend. My boss got married (great ceremony, fun reception!), I hit the cross-stitch sale at Scarlet Thread and the (still ongoing!) yarn sale at Uniquities, and my Dad showed up for a surprise visit!! Yay!!

Friday, I got a shot of a sock (I think it's Hilda) with George:



OKAY, ONCE AGAIN, STOP READING. REALLY.
FAIRY TALE SOCK CLUB SPOILERS MAY APPEAR PAST THIS POINT!










Okay, so I managed to finish the entire Beautiful Sock, the right sock (oh yes, my pretties, there *is* a difference!), and just have the leg of the second sock, Hilda, to do.

I was bad, and did my own short-row heel, rather than the one in the instructions, just to see if it worked. It did, perfectly! Look at that pretty little mitered bit! Yay, heel!

Then, further and further up the leg. (I went about, oh, five pattern repeats beyond the Actual Pattern, since I had a bunch of yarn left over. I would *not* recommend people do that, since, as previously stated, normal people knit much more tightly than I do, so will have used much more yarn at this point than I did.)

Then, finally, the right sock was finished! What seriously helped me fly on this sock was the purchase, at the Uniquities sale, of twelve-inch size 1 Addi Turbos! Little tiny circular needles, whee! Even though I've gotten pretty good at DPNs, the combination of "circular" and "Addi Turbos" is a LOT faster for me. The store only had one pair available; I'll be asking Jess at Stitch DC to order me three more. (Yes, I'm a needle hog.) I may actually finish the second sock today or tomorrow, depending on how busy work is (right now, it isn't!!), and then I can start all the decoration, which, being *embroidery and crochet* mostly, will just fly! (I'm probably going to cheat on the decorations by having my mother put on the socks with a bit of extra toe-padding, and just embroidering them while theyr'e on her feet, so things more-or-less strech out properly. Getting her to sit still while I do it? THAT will be the challenge!!

3 comments:

  1. Aren't socks wonderful? I've almost forgotten my love affair with them. Yours are gorgeous by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An extra 5 repeats, wow. I love tall socks, so this is very cool to see. There should be plenty of the embroidery colours, but just in case you run out, I have more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting so nicely about my shrug! By the way, I had a similar thing happen to me last night with my sock (Jaywalking), I was knitting and knitting and suddenly it was done. Unfortunately, the same won't happen with the second one, I won't have any time knit.
    Your socks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...