Thursday, May 22, 2008

Toe insanity

Okay, so I achieved the toe of the first Beautiful Sock of my soon-to-be Fairy Tale #1 Socks, and a goodly part of foot, as of the end of Tuesday. Wednesday morning, in preparation of the Picture Taking of Same, I tried my Beautiful Sock on my foot. Clearly, I need bigger feet. I know I knit loosely, but, as I have long been cognizant of this fact, I was following the directions for a "small" foot, checked my gauge from my swatch, and all those happy things. I knit insanely loosely, and gauge-in-the-round must be looser than that, even though (to me) what I get is a nice, solid fabric.

I had to frog my toe back a bit, and not do a couple of the decrease rounds. I got back to the number of rows I should have had at the starting-the-toe part, made certain I had the correct number of stitches on my needles for the pattern repeats I wanted, and began the foot again, after checking the size, of course, which is perfectly fine now.

Beautiful Sock now fits as she should, as does her twin sister, Hilda. I present, then, the socks, done about past the ball of the foot, with about two more Mystery Pattern Repeats (which are tactfully hidden on the other side of the socks) before I start making Heels.


Lessons learned:
1. Alway check the size of the toe before starting the foot, especially if making a gauge swatch.
2. I have suspected for some time my running shoes were a bit too big - and now I have proof, as the Women's Standard Sizing Chart is likely correct. According to those measurements (and others found on the web), my foot, for SOCK purposes, is a size freakin' FIVE. NOT an 8!!

Underlying Truths: Gauge swatches LIE, as do some shoe store employees.

2 comments:

  1. I sympathise CraftyG. Took me quite a while to work out what size needle and what number of stitches made a sock that would fit. Now I have those parameters set, I just adapt every pattern. Sounds like you're almost ready to join Sock Madness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Size 5, size 8, close enough...
    What?!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...