Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Futue O.W.L.: Stained Glass Blanket

So, I realize that I'm going to do some really, really crazy intarsia knitting for my Potions O.W.L. And I realize that, for the most part, knitting and stitching that say they're "stained glass" usually look nothing like stained glass (the joins are usually wrong, or - this one gets me - there aren't joins, it's just bright colors. WTF?). So, I'm going to knit myself a thing - lap blanket/wall hanging sized, I'm thinking - that actually LOOKS like a stained-glass window. Yarn choice, like glass choice, will be important to get the correct look, and while the smallest joins will be added after the fact, most will be knitted in. (Heck, if it looks OK, all the joins will be knitted in; I'd prefer that, but I want this to look good, too.)

I hit my favorite glass pattern catalog site (yeah, eventually, I'm going to be making most of these in glass, but that's not the point right now), and found my six favorites, then found another one I hadn't seen before. Of those, I narrowed it down to three possibles:


This one is traditional Tiffany, and not too tricky.


I like peacocks, and intarsia should work in the round, right?


The Windsor Window looks like a real window; leaning towards this one the most - although I opened to a vote in the Slytherin Dungeon, and my fellow snakes decided on the Magnolia window, so that's that. My crazy has been chosen, and I can totally blame them for my "misery" until it's finished.

These are the four that didn't make the cut. They're lovely, but I'm not completely insane, and they're either not a practical shape, or they're complicated enough that I'd be doing another king-sized blanket, which I'd REALLY rather not do again after my Charms O.W.L.

The Tiffany windows are lovely, though:


Still really pretty though!

2 comments:

  1. I love stained glass. It is just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I hope I'll be able to knit something that actually looks like it!!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...