Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday Afternoon

Running a bit late today, due to work going nuts and desperately needing an hour of knitting during lunch, which you now get to see.

At the end of lunchtime (such as it was) yesterday, I was getting close to the end of the yarn. I can't even remember who made this yarn: I just know it was mohair, hot pink, and on deep discount at Stitch DC Georgetown sometime in 2007 (2008?). There wasn't enough of it to make the entire Forget-Me-Not shawl, as you can probably tell. (I'm halfway through the first repeat of Chart 2.)


So, since I didn't want to run out, and hot pink mohair somehow makes me giggle every time I see it (and more happy in the universe is a Good Thing), I tracked down something similar. Three times over, in fact. I have enough for a couple of shawls - there are three more of these:


Now, this yarn *is* different. It's a hair heavier than the Mystery Merino, because it's wrapped with silk. The color match is almost exact (which is a miracle), but that little bit of silk twisted around the mohair is going to make it behave - and shimmer - a bit differently.


You can see here that there's just a wee bit of difference:


Now, the new fiber caused a wee bit of trouble with the felt-splicing - the silk didn't want to play along. Luckily, the mohair more than made up for it, so the splice got made. Now, even though I've got 230 yards of yarn to finish up, I'm pretty sure the Mystery Merino came in a skein of 685 (why I'm sure of this? I have no idea.), and I've hit the really-long-rows part of the shawl, and have about 40 rows to go. So I'll need about 1/3 of the total yarn for the shawl, which is about what I have.


And if not, hey, I've got three more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...