Friday, May 28, 2010

This isn't the "I finished my tea cozy" post because I haven't.

Okay, so, my mother works with a nice woman. (I've actually met her; she is, in fact, quite nice.) This woman has a hat, which my mother covets. The woman nicely loaned my mother the hat, so she could make one just like it.

Y'all know what that means as well as I do, right?

So, here's my schematic of the Very Nice Hat, and the photos I took so I could work from it:

Yes, I can read it, and it makes sense to me.


The Hat


7 honeycombs per vertical panel
4 per the horizontal on top

OMG. Thermal Undewear Stitch.
Remember how I said I'd never use it?
Clearly I was wrong.
This is NOT k1p1 rib. Sigh.

Brim is knit separately in garter stitch
and stitched on.

Twisted rib - definitely a design choice

definitely 3 border stitches

Top is just sewn
I should be able to k2tog as I go.

Well, there you have it: I need to create this hat. I've already done two tests-and-frogs. At first, I thought there was subtle sloping on the neckband - but there isn't, it's jut the cast off. And somehow I missed that there were two buttons (yeah, you'd think I'd look at the pictures after not seeing them for eight hours, right? No. Not me.)... and what I got doesn't have the same feel, at all. So the twisted rib is actually pretty important!

I got through one repeat of the first honeycomb rows twice - the first time, I tried a 1-over-6, and it looked OK, but not right, so tried traditional 1-over-4, and that's not it either. I'm gonna need better pictures, or more time wiht the hat. I'll be frogging everything again, and starting over... and there's got to be a way I can fit this into one of my HPKCHC classes!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I would have taken on that project. You are much braver than me. Cute hat though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having made a very similar hat for Cori recently, I'm advising that you sew the top instead of k2tog. The sewn seams give the hat a structure that k2tog doesn't offer.

    -L

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...