Monday, May 10, 2010

No, I didn't do the REAL homework.

No, I didn't do a darned thing on my TKGA stuff over the weekend. It was a really strange weekend; nothing we'd planned to get done get done, but we have a new laundry basket, and with all the driving around, I got a lot of knitting done - more than expected.

I did manage (finally) to get half-decent photos of my Ancient Runes assignment. It's hard to model and direct at the same time when I can't actually see what's framed up! These will do, though. Anyway, here are the Enchanted Gauntlets of Sword and Shield, which aren't actually gauntlets, and I don't actually own a shield, but after some digging, I thankfully found my sword & chainmail.




These are actually really comfy; I'm doing the thumb gusset like this from now on. Assuming I can rembmer how I did it in the first place; I was kinda winging these. And the duplicate stitch may have taken four tries, but it worked great, too!! The writeup was as follows:

Hello, Professor! This is CraftyGryphon, First Year Slytherin, turning in her Ancient Runes assignment.

Tiwaz is the runic symbol associated with the Norse sky god, Tyr. Tyr is the god of single combat, victory, and heroic glory, and the rune itself, when used in divination, indicates victory and success in any competition (among other things) - all of which is nice to have on your side during a House Cup. On the downside, Tyr is portrayed as a one-armed man - something that could definitely interfere with one's knitting, so some sort of counter-run is needed to ensure continued two-handedness.
Algiz is a representation of the Norse God Heimdall who holds his sword in one hand and his horn in the other, guarding the divine realm of Asgard. This rune symbolizes protection in all of its forms; both offense and defense, proactive and reactive. The rune Algiz was commonly carved into the shields, swords and spears of warriors as a mark of protection and sanctuary from harm.
By combining the two runes and adding them onto specially-knitted fingerless mitts, I have created Enchanted Gauntlets of Shield and Sword - the wearer is granted increased protection in any situation, especially competition/combat - such as the annual House Cup - and increased chances for victory, especially in single combat - such as certain elements of traditional Quidditch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...