Thursday, May 28, 2009

Yarn on Thursday: Ribbons!!

As part of the running around this past weekend, I wandered into In Stitches on Route 1, and found some ribbon yarn. I planned to use the new ribbon yarn to make another one, but the first skein on size 13 needles (don't want to go any bigger with the needles, or it'll be a "cover" not a "shirt") didn't yield quite enough area. (Yes, I knitted up an entire ball of yarn to discover this. I'm SUCH a process knitter!) So, I've got lovely yarn, and need something do do with it.

Thus, this week - what, really, *can* you do with ribbon yarn?

First, what is ribbon yarn? Usually "not natural fibers", and frequently glittery, shiny, and sparkly. Here's a color card for one sort of ribbon yarn:
And here's a photo of a ball of Nu-Mei Luna:
Who could resist knitting with Louisa Harding's Glisten? I may be hunting some down.
About.com has a section on Ribbon Yarn, with a brief primer on what it is and its pitfalls, as well as links to patterns that use it, including this little beauty from Crystal Palace:


Of course, there's lots you can make from ribbon yarn. I've made at least one top:

I winged the pattern, and call it "Hot Tamale" for the colors.
I really should write it up; it came out cute!
Vania (ACraftyVegan.Blogspot) made a cool ribbon yarn scarf for her Dad:
Barb made a cool bolero out of ribbon yarn;
I believe Emily designed this beautiful Solomon's Knot Shawl:
You can make a ribbon yarn vest for summer by Knit One, Crochet Too out of Tarlette, pattern available at yarnmarket.com:
Skeinscene has entire online pattern books to buy; the one linked includes this cute little summer top:

Now, even though I said "who could resist this yarn?" up above, I know some people really don't like using artificial fibers (or fiber-like stuff) to knit or crochet. Never fear - you can also find some pre-made items. That way you can have them, without having to *make* them.

The Accessory Lady has many beautiful and amazing accessories for sale in her online shop, including this lovely necklace. (I also like the Moulin Rouge cuffs.)
Bonnywear.com has some scrunchies made out of ribbon yarn - I think this is my favorite, I'm all about the bright metallic ribbon yarn. (My hair isn't quite long enough for scrunchies yet, though.)

Now, since I have fun zooming all over the internet looking for links and photos to share here on Thursdays, I sometimes stumble across unexpected goodness. If you're in or near Babylon, New York, check out classes at The Village Knitter. This came up under a search for "made with ribbon yarn" - and while I couldn't find a photo that for-certain contained ribbon yarn, it looks like a great little store, with a great range of classes.

Now up at the top of the post, I mentioned stumbling into In Stitches and getting ribbon yarn. This is what I got: Two skeins of Prism Flirt! The photos on the site really don't do justice to the depth of the actual colors, so here's a photo of mine in the sun:


I think it's going to turn into one of Emily's Solomon's Knot Shawls... I think. Although... wouldn't a Clapotis made of sparkly ribbon yarn look cool?

3 comments:

  1. Your ribbon yarn is very pretty. Can't wait to see it knitted into something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Link is fixed - thanks for letting me know it changed!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...