Thursday, April 30, 2009

Yarn on Thursday - Circular WHAT?

So, my friend Deb just got a Circular Crochet Hook. Two crochet hooks, held together with a cord, just like circular knitting needles. I'd never seen such a thing before!


Looks like it's a quick way to do multi-color work & Tunisian crochet - there's a really good tutorial here at crochetme.com. If you like video tutorials instead, here's one (fast forward about 30 seconds in to the start):


Also, here's a tutorial on using one of these double-ended critters: Basic Cro-Hook Tutorial. There's also something called Portugese Knitting... which is actually done with two tiny crochet hooks!!


How cool is that??

Anita (tygger428) has a double-ended afghan she's working on, which gives a good look at the hook actually running from one end of its project to the other here [Ravelry link, sorry]. Also on Ravelry, the Crochet Liberation Front Headquarters is running a discussion on the mysterious Circular Crochet Hook, and what can be done with same.

Best thing I've found made using one? Becky's absolutely amazing Hogwart's House Shields Afghan:


I mean WOW. Almost makes me want to make one! And there are lots of patterns that can use this little double-ended circular wonder. Yahoo! Answers has the best links for patterns, here, but I haven't even gone out on Ravelry to look yet, and I bet there are some there. (Runs off to check... I may have to investigate getting one of these Circular Crochet Hooks for myself!

1 comment:

  1. How interesting! The afghan is amazing, isn't it?! WOW

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...