Monday, May 16, 2011

When Bad Counting Happens

So, over the past week, I've gotten a pretty good start on my History of Magic OWL. I discovered, fairly quickly, that I mangled my swatch - didn't chain enough/skip enough between dc boxes? - and the lovely buffet scarf will, in fact, be a lovely tablecloth. That, I could deal with. But this morning, when I was trying to figure out HOW IN HADES I'd lost three stitches entirely, when my grid matched up perfectly? I was having problems. Something wasn't matching up with the pattern.


Before

Staring and counting and staring and counting, I determined that all the elements were correctly related to each other, but somehow, the motifs in the center had two few - and an odd, not even number - of stitches between them. More counting commenced - and I discovered the Horrible Truth. The curlicues along the edge? The outer two on each side are seven stitches long - THE CENTER THREE ARE EIGHT STITCHES LONG. Now, being a person who tends to make all motifs of the same shape and basic placement identical in size when I design things, because really, THAT MAKES SENSE, I didn't expect this one-block switchup. But you can see it, right there... the center three of the seven are eight blocks wide, not seven.


The Problem

Which did, in fact, explain everything. The only downside is that having figured out what the problem was, there was NO way to do compensation or scooting-of-stitches or anything else to make the lacet stitches at the center of the design work AT ALL. So.... during lunch... RRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP.


After

So, tonight, I start all over again.

*Sigh.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...