Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The logical next step in growing my own yarn: Spinning.

After yesterday's Crochet Roadblock (my History of Magic O.W.L. is in time-out until Thursday), I needed a Happy Fiber Thing. So I finished spinning up my 1.6oz of aqua tussah fluffystuff. I felt inordinately proud of getting something that looked like a Disney Spindle Full of Twisted Fiber:


Of course, it had a couple of spools that went with it. Yep, I got two spools' worth of aqua fluffystuff turned into something that actually - just maybe - might be yarn. Singles, of course, since I'm not even going to *try* plying until I know I'm always putting in a Z-twist for all my singles. (Sometimes, my brain forgets which way to spin. Not pretty when that happens.)


Once it was all spun up, I got it all pasted (spun, glued, adhered, whatever the proper term is for getting one end stuck to another end so they don't pull apart) together, and ran it over a 17" Q-Snap - which just happens, if you measure around the outside up and down, to be One Yard. Turns out I have 106 yards of silk aqua yarn. And it's.... actually yarn.


Still trying to figure out what to do with it. Maybe a rose hair-tie? Or a little bracelet? Or a small bag? Or spin up the "matching" pink fluff, and do something larger? Decisions, decisions. I'm just glad it actually looks like it's YARN!


1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! Lovely work. It does not look like the first time you've spun wool. It has a nice shimmery look. Great color palette too!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...