Friday, May 27, 2011

Deathly Hallows: The Yarn Version (sorta)


No related yarn or project photos in this post,
so here's a cute extra-fluffy bunny.

So, there's a fourth round of Quidditch next week - Potter Puppet Pals (no, I don't know either) - but before then, I need to lock & load my plans for the rest-of-term Quidditch, Hallows or Horcruxes. I'm choosing the Hallows option - only three projects to keep track of, and 35 points each. Here's the Official Rules:
For those of you who choose to pursue the Hallows, yours is a quest for enlightenment. You will seek out the items that make you invincible, and craft items that represent your quest or the item you find. The lists below show possible ways to interpret each Hallow. Individual interpretations are welcome here provided you can explain how your item fits the Hallow in question. When in doubt, ask in advance! (because if your item doesn't fit the prompt it will not be accepted!) Students may do one Hallow or all three, but cannot do each more than once.

Since there are fewer Hallows than Horcruxes, Hallows projects are worth 35 points each, but must use at least 300 yards per Hallow.

Note: You may make multiple smaller items to represent one Hallow, but these multiple objects must be at least 300 yards combined and will earn 35 points total!

The Elder Wand:
  • Choose an Unstoppable Ravelry Pattern (Knitting = more than 2000 projects, Crochet = more than 300 projects). Find these this way! (links to a rav search)
  • Make a project you've made before so you know you can make it again. (Provide a link to the first project page as well, if available)
  • Show other ways that having the Elder Wand empowers you. (And we mean really empowers you! Stretch! I'd recommend telling us first, so we can tell you if it counts!)
Resurrection Stone:
  • Take a second attempt at making an UGH project.
    Example: I have a Whisper Cardigan WIP. Its an UGH because the yarn doesn't provide a fabric I like. I'm unsure if I want to ever finish it but I like the pattern. So I start a new one with different yarn/needles/whatever, finish it, and turn it in for the Resurrection Stone. I also show a picture of my first cardigan (with a link to a project page if available) and explain why it was deemed an UGH. I hopefully learned something awesome and have a newly Resurrected project that I love!
  • Reclaim a project (UGH, unfinished or otherwise) and give the yarn a new life (before and after pictures required here, no WIP finishing allowed!) Thrifting a thrift store sweater and turning it into another project also counts here.
  • Give life to a vintage pattern! (Vintage in this case = 1986 or older)
  • Pay respect to a great crafter who has gone on before us. Explain when you turn in. (i.e. Elizabeth Zimmerman)
  • Give a Face to a faceless Ravelry pattern by crafting a pattern that no featured project photo. Here's the list! (links to a rav search)
Invisibility Cloak
  • Make something in House Colors to blend in among the movie goers!
  • Make a shawl of at least 300 yards.
So, I already decided to make more Deathly Hallows Dishcloths - I have yarn for three, and as each ball of cotton is 120 yards, that puts me well over the 300 yards needed for the requirement of the Elder Wand. For the Resurrection Stone, I found The Craft Yarn Council's American Flag Potholder. There's no picture of it out there ANYWHERE that I can find... so, should be interesting. Might have to make two if it's not that big. Then, for the Invisibility Cloak, I'll be making a $5 in Paris sweater, which I've wanted for a while. That's gonna be the big, tricky thing - because there's still my two OWLs and all my classwork, too. (Oh, and that pesky "real life" thing with the "job" and "family" and "exercise" and "laundry" and other timesinks that take away from my knitting.)


And if you made it through all of that,
here's one of Katie Cook's wonderful drawings.
(Prints of this one are available, yay!)
See more at www.katiecandraw.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...