Monday, May 2, 2011

OWL Propsal #1

So, the new term has started at Hogwarts. I got sorted into Slytherin yet again (yay!), so it's time to put in my OWL propsals. Here's my first one, minus a note to the examiners:

RavID: CraftyGryphon
House: Slytherin
Year: Fourth
OWL subject and option: History of Magic - Option 1: Knit or crochet something using an heirloom/antique pattern that hasn't been translated into modern terminology

Hello Examiners! [note]

Identify the pattern(s) you will be using (original designs encouraged).
I will be attempting a modification of the following chart, copyright/published in 1956. Instead of the two peacocks at the bottom, I will be making a larger table covering, which will have peacocks in all four corners of the finished piece, and measure approximately 2.25 larger than the original design as indicated.



The original pattern can be found here: Rav link; 1956 version, archived.

This is my proposed modified chart:



Two or three sentences describing the planned crafting sequence and analyzing any areas of potential difficulty or new skills needed.
The sequence appears simple: follow the revised chart, using the original instructions. Except the instructions are for filet crochet - something that's new to me. (It's a bit embarrassing how long it took me to realize "BLK" was "block"...) Heck, it's following a chart in crochet - something that's REALLY new to me. (I understand that the principles are remarkably similar to those for knitting, but still, it's NEW. Crochet charts are scary.)

Photograph of the yarn(s) and any unusual needles or materials involved. The pattern calls for size 20 mercerized cotton. I have opted to use size 10, instead, to get a more small-table-sized finished product. Based on my gauge, I am hoping that the finished piece is roughly 18"x24". I will be using a "B" crochet hook. I am also hoping that 1.5 miles of cotton (minus one swatch) is enough!





Photograph of your swatch.
I did a 4"x4" swatch to get "blocks v. spaces" firmly in my head. It took well over an hour to do this swatch, so I"m not worried that the entire table-cover will take three months. (I'm worried it will take MORE than three months!)



I hope this History of Magic O.W.L. proposal is acceptable. Please let me know if you need any further information.


I'm really hoping it gets approved - I need to start it SOON if I'm going to finish it in time!!!

1 comment:

  1. That's a really pretty pattern. I love peacocks. I'm sure you'll get the hang of the chart quick.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...