Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Aylin's Wool Gatherer

Okay, now, on to the Yarn Crawl!!

When & Where: Monday, April 11 - Aylin's Wool Gatherer

I like Aylin's. It's up on the third floor of an office building in a big two-story strip mall. There's the main room, the sale room (where you can, if you bend around a post, also see the Storage Room - yarn heaven!), and classrooms. This is the place where I keep finding my mother-of-pearl stitch markers, pattern books & magazines I Must Have, and, of course, yarn. I think the first stuff I ever bought here was the Feza stuff for my Tailored Scallops Jacket from Lace Style - which I ended up frogging due to not quite enough yarn. Good news - if I lose six inches off my hips (getting there!), I suddenly have enough yarn again. I *do* want that jacket!

Anyway, here's what I got there this time, and please note my restraint.

The first and third patterns in this photo - I have a weakness for Dale of Norway sweaters, especially the, well, Nordic-looking ones. And a weakness for geometric patterns. The sweater on the right? Almost bought the pattern last time, but it seemed "tricky" - now I know it's a snap. Just have to decide on the colors.


I also got the ball of yarn on the right. It's lovely and autumnal and I'm totally making a long-edge-to-point triangle shawl from it - or a trapezoid, if there's not quite enough yarn in the skein. The beauty of designing my own shawls as I go? Whatever I end up with is Correct, because I Say So.


I don't get to Aylin's as often as I'd like, since "driving" and "weekends" have to be involved, but I'm glad I went when I had a chance. There's a good stock of Basic Stuff on hand, the pretty shiny new things are always different & fun to see!

3 comments:

  1. I love the new yarn, it's very pretty. Is it as soft as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silk is TO DIE FOR soft. The Fame Trend is typically wool slightly-scratchy; not as bad as Noro, but not super-soft. It's supposed to bloom, though, once the final thing is wet & blocked, and be quite soft then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used Noro, there aren't any yarn shops where I live (the only one just went out of business a few weeks ago and they didn't carry it.) and I can't afford to get it from the internet.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...