Monday, April 25, 2011

Knit + Stitch = Bliss!

Glad everyone's enjoying the vicarious Yarn Crawl!!

So, the Thursday of the Yarn Crawl, after work, I hit another yarn store. Originally, I'd been thinking of going to Fibre Space, but decided to hit Knit & Stitch since Thursday was its Late Open Night.

When & Where: Thursday, April 14 - Knit & Stitch = Bliss

I used to hit K&S when it was The Needlework Loft, and dealt primarily in cross-stitch and painted canvas. The market for those crafts has been falling - they're not cheap hobbies! - and more stores have added knitting (like In Stitches) or switched entirely, like K&S. When I worked at the tippy-top of Georgetown (Glover Park, really), I could take a bus to the Metro, Metro to Bethesda, Walk to the Needlework Loft, and get back in just under an hour. Now that I'm on the river, it's an hour just to get there... so I haven't been in ages. The shop looks about the same, with a few cute differences (or at least I think they're differences?) on the way in. The new sign is 3-D, which is cool.


And the sheep crossing sign is adorable. (It's possible that was there before, but I can't remember.)


Then, the two prints - a sheep turning into a sweater; yarn turning into a cat. I LOVE THESE PRINTS. They are so cool!!




If anyone knows who did EITHER of those prints, and knows where I might be able to get a copy, drop me a line please. They're adorable!

I did manage to find some things to buy, of course. (And I'm still in the database. Come to think of it, I'm in the database of every yarn store I went to on the Crawl. Like you may have guessed - they know me.) Once again, I got something I was looking for - the last of the Elizabeth Zimmerman books that I didn't already have:


And, since I had to go by the sock yarn shelves to get to the book shelves, soem Claudia Hand Paint sock yarn kinda jumped out at me. I almost got the Chartreuse as well, but decided that two pairs of eyebleedingly bright socks would be sufficient for my Evil Plans. (Trust me, said plans are quite diabolical. And involve wearing said socks in bright sunlight.)


The OMG-What-Did-I-Do? purchase of the entire yarn crawl was this:


Yep, that's a skein of Cashmere/Bison. Yes, I'm still allergic to Bison - but not as badly as I expected, due to the cashmere, most likely. This is, officially, the most I've ever paid for a skein of yarn. (No, I'm not telling you the price. It was half the total of what I paid. Do your own math.) I have NO idea what I'm going to make with it, but whatever it is, it's going to be (a) spectacular and (b) most likely a gift for someone else that isn't allergic to large quaduped fibers. (And yes, I knit stuff like this with gloves on. Won't be the first time, won't be the last. Yes, I'm a bit crazy like that.)

So, a nice haul, despite my inexplicable weakness when faced with a lovely soft skein of Cashmere/Bison. (In my defense, it's from Prince Edward Isle, which is just far enough away and exotic-sounding that it struck some sort of "Titanic" chord or something. And yes, I know most of the Titanic victims are actually in Nova Scotia. But still, it's the only explanation I've got!)

2 comments:

  1. Those prints - there is a seller that attends Sugarloaf that has stuff like that. Since I will be going on Sunday to the last spring show (it is in Timonium) I'll see if the seller is there and see if a)they have either of the prints or b)if they have a card/website I can get for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YAY! I hope it's that seller, and that theyr'e there!

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...