Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yarn on Thursday: Stitch Edition - Mossy Stuff!

The project: Knitting all the stitches in KnittingOnTheNet.com's Stitch Directory.
The yarn: Anything you want. I'm using a Phentex "Monster Ball of Yarn" (32 oz. 100% acrylic), which won't block, but will give good stitch definition.
The needles: Again, whatever you want that goes with your yarn. I'm using my beloved Lantern Moon size 7s, because they're pretty.
Why this is happening: Because lots of people want to learn new stitches this year!
This week's stitches: Mistake Rib (#23), Mock Cable (#24), Moss Diamonds (#25), Moss Panels (#26) and Moss Stitch (#27).

Mistake Rib "(multiple of 4) +3" 19 pattern stitches with 5 seed stitches to border in front, six at the back.


Things I noticed about this pattern: Completely reversible, but kinda ugly and boring. Just did twelve rows, and kept forgetting to get a picture. First stitch I actually haven't liked.

Mock Cable. Multiple of 10 stitches - 20 pattern stitches, with five border stitches before and after. Three repeats was enough to see this pattern, so I knitted 18 rows of it.



Things I noticed about this pattern: No need to twist stitches - but I'm sorry, it doesn't look like a cable to me. On the other hand, if you wanted something to look like Celtic knotwork, the techniques used here could help a lot.

Moss Diamonds "(multiple of 10) +7" - 17 pattern stitches, with 6 border stitches in front and 7 after. Twelve pattern rows, done twice, gives me 24 rows.


Things I noticed about this pattern: Because of the strong purl lines on the RS, this would actually work well for fancy ribbing or a fitted-snug garment. I could see making a version of Tempting II out of this stitch!

Moss Panels. (Multiple of 8) +7. No way around this one; it'll have to be wide. 23 pattern stitches with four in front and three after. (This is actually a set up for the first stitch for next week, as you'll see.) Ten row pattern, so I knit two repeats, for 20 rows total.




Things I noticed about this pattern: Again, strong verticals (see the WS photo, below) would work for a fitted garment, or nicely as trim.


Moss Stitch (Seed Stitch) - we've been doing this one all along on the borders, so you don't really need a refresher!
A note on the whole project: Since there are 139 stitch patterns (some are listed under multiple headings), plus 7 different edgings in KnittingOnTheNet.com's Stitch Directory, I'll be trying to do two to three stitches a week, minimum. This should get everyone a goodly number of new stitches by the end of the year, and hopefully get me a blanket. No worries if you "fall behind" or "start late" - this is for fun & education, there isn't *really* a time limit of any sort on it. If you're just discovering this project, this link will take you to the beginning, and this link will pull up all the related entries. Just knit on, and have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...