Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Soap Opera Mysteries!

What I read last week: Death in Daytime, the first of Eileen Davidson's Soap Opera Mysteries. Actually, I re-read it.... Now, if the name "Eileen Davidson" looks familiar to you, then you, like me, probably watched The Young and the Restless or The Bold and the Beautiful at some point in the past, oh, dozen years or so. (Or maybe Days of Our Lives before that.) Yep, it's she-who-plays "Ashley Abbott"! After working on several of The Big Soaps, Ms. Davidson certainly knows her way around the soap-opera world, so writing a mystery set it it? Cake - if she can write.

Luckily, she can (with co-author Robert J. Randisi). Now, I actually found Book #2 in the series, Dial Emmy for Murder, first, and read it. I've since found (and bought) both books, and I'm looking forward to the third, Diva Las Vegas, due out this October (or June?). The books follow the adventures of Alexis Peterson, an actress who has, more or less, grown up and older in the soap-opera world, yet manages to stay incredibly centered. (Something about a wonderful little girl to come home to, contrasted with a lying, theiving ex-husband, will do that.) Alex is likeable, and has one little character flaw: she's always wanted to be a private detective. When she's accused of murder... well, you can guess what happens. But not exactly - which makes reading the first book a lot of fun!

The Back of the Jacket: Alexis Peterson is proud of the work she does on The Yearning Tide, one of the most successful shows in the history of daytime drama. But the new head writer, Marcy Blanchard, blames Alex for stealing the love of her life and is sabotaging her at every turn.
Afraid that her character will end up in an eternalcoma, Alexis cofronts Marcy with an offscreen, off-the-handle catfight. So when her nemesis is found blugeoned to death, Alexis becomes the prime suspect. Now she'll have to act the part of detective, because Alexis knows she only has one life to live... and she's not going to spend it behind bars.
Genre(s): Mystery
Audience: Adult, Young Adult
Online Extras: EileenDavidsonBooks.com!!
Reading Time: 1 day
Recommend: Oh, of course. These are fun!


Coming Soon!
I read a lot. Given how much I knit, I really shouldn't have time for eating - but I tend to eat at least two meals a day at work (by myself), and I don't want food on my knitting, so - I read. I'm not reading as much as I usually do, since the Monster Yarn Pattern Project thing is taking over chunks of my evenings (it's going to be a while before there's little enough yarn left for it to be a "portable project"), so I'll share what I've been reading. It's pretty eclectic, and I'm not a critic. Pretty much anything I pick up, I read; I don't tend to pick up things I don't think I'll finish. Don't expect anything in-depth, but you may find something you hadn't heard of that you might want to track down to read yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...