Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Well, I read a bit more than these, but it's a start...

What I read last week:


The Back of the Jacket:
   I have sworn upon the River Styx that the events in this book are purely fictional.
   There is no such twelve-year-old boy as Perseus "Percy" Jackson. The Greek gos are nothing more than old myths. They certainly never have children with mortals in the twenty-first century, nor is there any such place as Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp for demigods on eastern Long Island where I train young heroes to survive against their monstrous enemies. Percy never met a satyr or a daughter of Athena. They most emphatically did not embark upon a quest together across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.
   Having said this, I must warn you to
think carefully before starting this book. If you feel anything stirring within you as you read - if you being to suspect that this story may be describing something about your own life - STOP READING IMMEDIATELY. I cannot be held responsible for the consequences.
   May the gos of Olympus (who of curse do not exist) watch over you.

Yours sincerely, CHIRON KENTAVROS
Immortal Trainer of Heroes
Activities Director,
Camp Half-Blood
Bearer of Laurels,
Olympian Council.
Okay, I was a Latin jock (specifically, Mythology Expert) in High School. These books are a blast and - might I add - about ten times more fun than the movie. (Which wasn't a bad little popcorn flick, I caught it yesterday. The books are much, much better, with all the backstory, and the plot actually makes sense. Also: the movie is actually aimed at an older audience than the books; there's a lot of innuendo & such that just isn't in the original.) And read the books first, if you can; the movie gives stuff away that's more fun to be surprised by (if you didn't see it coming). I was able to finish a book a day, easily, and will probably be picking up the other three over the weekend. (Not tough, since I own them all - I had a pretty good idea I was going to like them!)

Genre(s): Fantasy
Audience: Kids, allegedly, but anyone with a sense of adventure, really
Online Extras: www.rickriordan.com, and, well, there's a movie....
Reading Time: 4h apiece
Recommend: Yep! And I'll slap folks who say "It's just like Harry Potter" or "It's just like Lord of the Rings" or even "It's just like Star Wars!" They're all mythic cycles; there's a formula for those, and they follow it. Deal.
I read a lot. Given how much I knit, I really shouldn't have time for eating - but I tend to eat at least two meals a day at work (by myself), and I don't want food on my knitting, so - I read. I'm not reading as much as I usually do, since the Monster Yarn Pattern Project thing is taking over chunks of my evenings (it's going to be a while before there's little enough yarn left for it to be a "portable project"), so I'll share what I've been reading. It's pretty eclectic, and I'm not a critic. Pretty much anything I pick up, I read; I don't tend to pick up things I don't think I'll finish. Don't expect anything in-depth, but you may find something you hadn't heard of that you might want to track down to read yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read these books yet. But I introduced them to my students at school. (The high readers in 3rd grade.) They just love them and I had to go to Wal-mart to get all of them. I really need to sit down so I can discuss them with them.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...