Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Finish - a Good Use of Days Off!

I didn't get to the SuperBowl party down south from here on Sunday (no plow, no way!), so I didn't see JJ. During the game, though, I put the finishing touches on the Scots Santa canvas she gave me. I was able to put in lots of litle details. I needed some silver for the buttons/buckles, and a recent issue of one of the Brit cross-stitch mags happened to have some Madiera in silver metallic as a free gift. Yay! I did a cross-stitch for the buttons, so they'd catch light both ways. And can I just say how much I love Very Velvet black fiber? It makes a totally nonreflective black that just absorbs light. If you ever want something on your stitching to be a deep, pure black without stitch definition, this is the stuff to use. Black, blacker, blackest!


I made up the star - it's just woven, as you can see, much as the plaid on Santa's kilt is. And, for this particular canvas, the Furry Stuff I used for his beard and eyebrows was just the perfect length, and it's super-soft to the touch. I need to find a canvas with a bunny on it... I want to stitch a bunny!


Here's the finished piece. I didn't want the background color to be too solid, so I only used four strands of silk, so some white shows through here and there. I like the woven-plaid; I'll definitely be doing that some other time, somewhere - and I'm really glad I did it here. Having Santa's kilt actually be a plaid is fun! (Also, I now know that a two-stranded, two-color plaid is how one gets hound's-tooth.)


This was really a fun little canvas to stitch up, and I'm really glad I made that trip to The Point of It All before the snow hit!

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty and your did a great job adding all the little details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic, the beard has come up a treat

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...