Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm taking it personally, and yes, I know I shouldn't.

Okay, I had a bad time (other than getting to see my friends Sunday) this past weekend, I've been yelling at Verizon for two solid days, and there was an Easter Egg in the bailout bill that just came to light yesterday. Didn't sleep last night. Today, just to keep sane, I was going to go up to the yarn store and buy whatever the hell caught my fancy, just because the pretty yarnbits would soothe me and keep me from going ballistic. Then I get THIS in my mailbox.

From Marie, the owner of Stitch DC:

"A bit of sad news today, this past Sunday was the last day of business at our current Georgetown location. There is no change at Capitol Hill - our original and flagship store.

Why am I closing Georgetown? The story is like that experienced by so many other small local businesses in Georgetown. The lease was up for renewal. Our building sold in January. The new landlord wanted dramatically more rent for our little space. In the end, we could not come to terms. So I decided that I like Grey Yarn better than Grey Hair.

Now looking forward, I can focus all my time on giving you all more great free class sessions on weekends. I can pack the Hill store with more yarn. It will be one stop shopping. And Auntie (my sister), Alan and I will pursue adding a Coffee/Tea bar to Capitol Hill. We've always wanted to do this. The Courtyard just begs to be used. So now I can focus my attention on that.

Closing Georgetown is sad for me. I love that little space. But I am excited about the future. I look forward to seeing you all at the Capitol Hill store. And with your continued support and inspiration, I look forward to opening again soon in NW. But for now, see you on Cap Hill!"

Now, I certainly don't want to put Marie & Co out out business (like the STUPID GEORGETOWN LANDLORD!!!), so they've got to make the business decisions that work for them. However, the ONLY good thing about my current work location was that yarn store. Otherwise, there's no parking, no nearby bus (without going up a huge hill or flight of stairs - with these knees), and it's a mile walk to the Metro. Plus, the building is trying to kill me (or the building management, with all their little scented products, flowers, and motion-sensing bathroom lights). My people are really lucky I like working with them so much or this would officially be the Last Straw. I am going to go into a corner and pout now.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry you're having a bad day. Maybe a bigger, better knitting store will move into their space? Hey, you never know.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...