Friday, January 23, 2009

So, about all those things I started...

First, I found a link to National Knitting Week UK via Google Images that's just picture after picture after picture of yarn. Yarn pr0n!

I've been thinking about the "UFO Count" thing. Yes, this is not unusual. I'm a bit obsessed. Not quite enough to just take the bit in my teeth and finish one thing, then the next, then the next, but... hey, stop giggling! Anyway, I was thinking. What if I started a rotation that rotated? I mean, I've tried the "just do this until it's done" - and I invariably get bored. (Or, on the odd occasion, am completely floored that I finish something in a normal-person amount of time. Although this has been happening with more frequency...)

So I've got some Big Projects, some Medium-sized projects, a few Little Projects, and about half a dozen I May Never Finish These But I'll Try If It Kills Me projects. I think, for 2009, rather than obsessing too much about the numbers, I'll try to finish
  1. One Really Huge Gargantuan Project;
  2. One Big Project;
  3. Six Medium-Sized Projects; and...
  4. ALL the small projects.
Now, before you either (a) fall off your chair laughing or (b) go into shock over "all the small projects", there are, in the Small Project works, all of one quilt, two knitting projects, two sets of ornaments (each over halfway done), and exactly four other cross-stitch projects. Nine tiny things. Nine tiny things that I could carry around with me and just plug away at until they're done - and switch out with a medium-sized thing when the boredom hits.

Now, of course, I'm not going to tell myself "Hey, Self - you can't start any new projects!" because every time I do that I end up doing really really well for about a month - and then crack under the strain and start a dozen things at once. (Just in case you were wondering how I'd gotten up to 217 UFOs at one point - it was because I was trying to cut back. This is also why there are No Forbidden Foods - I try to eat healthier overall, but if I tell myself I can't have something, it'll backfire.)

And let's face it, I'm gonna start something at some point: I have three balls of THIS . . .


Feza Cypress Mohair Color #113
No, I couldn't find a bigger photo online.
Yes, I forgot to take one of the three balls I own.

. . . and it's gonna be another Danica scarf and a matching hat - for next fall, since I just finished my new scarf for this winter. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. iWhen I have several projects that I can't seem to work on, I make a schedule sorta. I FORCE myself to work on said project at least 1 hr at a time then I reward myself working on something fun next

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is torture trying to get all the pretties made, isn't it! Keep plugging along, something will get done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...