Monday, June 27, 2011

June Class: Charms

This was today's turn-in post. The assignment was to make something EXACTLY following the pattern, including using the yarn called for. I actually had a project that I was comfortable making, and had the actual yarn, so this month just sort of fell into place. Here's the turn-in post:
Hello, Professors! This is CraftyGryphon, Fourth Year Slytherin, and I've actually managed to make the American Craft Yarn Council's American Flag Potholder EXACTLY according to the instructions. First, the yarn is to be Lily Sugar & Cream 4 Ply Cotton: Red #95, Wwhite #01 and Bright Navy #09. Here are my Yarn Labels as proof I used the proper yarn:


Then, I did the 37 chain stitches, and started the stripes. I kept following instructions. Exactly. (I should also add that at this point, I've made half a dozen of these, with no stars attached yet, for Quidditch/Horcruxes. Unlike my Quiddy ones, though, this one has Stars.

I also did the chain hanging loop as per the instructions. I usually prefer to just do it as I start the final row, so it's solidly attached no matter what (I don't trust slip stitches, always), but I slip stitched it here.


And then the French Knots. The pattern doesn't really specify how many stars, or where to put them, so I went with all fifty. French Knots in four-ply cotton yarn, which is NOT smooth as is, say, embroidery floss? NOT fun. I can usually make perfect French knots -and I think I got maybe three out of the fifty to look right. I will *not* be adding stars to my Quiddy potholders. They look just fine and pretty without 'em, and for the extra hour of effort, it just doesn't look that great!


This, however, must be done Exactly According To The Pattern. And, so, it is!!

So, that's all I *have* to do in June to keep playing. I've got one other class done, and I still need to get the 50% on my HoM OWL...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...