Thursday, May 14, 2015

Baby Surprise Jacket!

So, I tried to do Elizabeth Zimmerman's Adult Surprise Jacket [Rav link]. There is an instruction that says "keep the center stitch of the double-decrease constant!" This does not mean, evidently, keep the center stitch as the same # stitch (in my case, 80). That gives you weird, weird shapes. I didn't realize just how badly my shape was off until I was about halfway through the jacket. I had to frog the ENTIRE THING.

Not that the ASJ is a "normal" shape, but still.

So, I tried to do Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket [Rav link]. That went much, much better!

I was originally just going to knit it in green yarn leftover from my Enlightened Hoodie, but added some black.


Then it was a case of figuring out how to fold the thing: Figure A isn't it. It does, however, give a good idea of how the stripes will work. The cast-on edge is at the top of the photo, the final cast-off edge is at the bottom. You can see where I put the stripes:

Fig. A

Now, in Figure B, you can see how those same stripes are placed in the finished jacket. (And yes, the "surprise" is that this weird amoeba-yarn-thing actually folds into a jacket.) My first stripe started at what wound up being around the armpits.

Fig. B

I did add some stuff to the finished jacket: knitted buttons (knit a square. Run yarn around the whole edge, pull tight. Instant button!) and a collar.

I think it came out pretty great!


2 comments:

  1. Ooooo I love it. Where do I get a copy of the BSJ pattern? I've wanted to knit one for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schoolhouse Press is the only source for the pattern (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/patterns.htm, unless your LNS carries it. The BSJ is also in a lot of other things [Rav Link], you may already have a copy and didn't realize it!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...