Thursday, July 7, 2011

Random Thursday

Random day today. First up, some squash from mom's garden. They're huge! These are the first two; there have been six more, and more coming. Good thing she likes squash.


We've gone greener on the household lights. Lights (bulbs, flashlights) is a hobby of my husband's, so he had fun getting everything switched over up to his specifications. I don't think we need more lightbulbs until 2028.


I'm miffed; the new "large" soda at Subway is NOTICEABLY SMALLER than the old one, by (according to measurements) four ounces. The cup isn't just shorter, it's a bit narrower at the top (but not at the bottom, because that would mess up cupholder technology everywhere). I depend on every ounce of caffiene I can get, so this annoys me.


Finally, the Big Local Library is doing a bunch of fun presentations over the summer. I'm quite pleased that someone had a giant stuffed snake to use for the "Reptile Wonders" notice!


See? I told you it would be a random day today!

3 comments:

  1. As someone also addicted to caffeine...please do yourself the favor of buying 2L bottles (2L = 68ish oz) at the grocery store and decant it into 20 oz bottles. Not only does it save you tons of money, but the bottles are recyclable--and you get a screw-cap to prevent spills instead of an icky wax cup, flimsy lid, and tons of ice diluting your caffeine.

    I used to buy MtDew at $1.25 (a good sale) or $2.25 (full price) per 2L, but now I buy a store brand imitation at a typical price of $0.89. At the rate I drink it (8 x 2L a week), that means I'm paying $7.12 a week for the equivalent of 17 x 32oz, instead of 17 x $2ish = $34. Even the full price, name-brand Dew is only $18 a week!

    To put it in perspective, switching to 2L and the store brand saves a skein of hand-painted yarn every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to wean myself off soda. I need to get better about drinking that plain stuff... what's it called? Water?

    Your yarn-lost-to-soda-cost idea may actually do the trick. Hadn't looked at it that way before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! If you do switch to water, you can spend the other $7 on a ball of nice sturdy cotton. :)

    To date, the best I can do is to have a little cup of soda and a glass of water handy; when I finish the soda, I try to remember to drink the water before refilling the water. I'm almost down from 8 per week to 7 using this trick.

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...