Friday, July 8, 2011

A Learning Process, end of Week One

I was originally going to leave my yarn as Just Singles, but was reminded about the whole "Navajo Plying" thing. Which sounded pretty much like A Thing To Learn, and also keeps insanely long color runs (hello!) intact. Hadn't a clue how to do it, though, so once again, interwebs to the rescue! I found this GoogleVid which explained everything succinctly, with written words (which help me retain the knowledge better):



Thus, armed with my new knowledge, I put the royal & lavender yarn on my other bobbin (I have two... yes, only two at this time) and started to spin up the green. I figure this will be days six (yesterday) and seven (today) for my TdF. That gives me all weekend to figure out the whole plying thing once and for all. Taking advice from many lovely Ravelers, I'm putting the spun stuff on my spindle so it's not right on the whorl, and I'm getting a lot of yarn on there. I'm also getting more consistent with my thickness.


If I put the teal I spun up before TdF started in between the royal and the green, I should (hopefully!) wind up with enough yarn (300-400 yards?) after plying to Actually Make Something. Although that may not work - I think the green is coming out *much* thinner than any of the other colors, so the lavender/royal/teal may be one yarn, and the green may be spun onto some amber and yellow. But SOMETHING will be knitted with the lavender/royal once it's plied into Real Yarn, for sure! Like, perhaps, Jacquelyn Landry's Nereides? It says right in the pattern that it's good for handspun, particularly silk, which I am (actually, with my own paws!) making. And I'm still knitting lots, really. You just can't tell from this week's posts.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I think you are pretty brave to spin silk on a spindle. You must also be very patient. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Your tracks here...