Thursday, January 26, 2012

Transfiguration: How about a dragon?

Last Sunday during the playoff games (American football), I blocked my slightly-short due to not-enough-yarn Ashton Shawlette. I really love the yarn I did it in, even if I was short. (It was the only skein at the store; if there had been more, I would've bought it!)


Since I figured a way for it to dry hanging not-quite upside down, without actually contacting the plastic of my makeshift blocking board, it dried VERY fast (air circulating on both sides!), so by Monday evening, it was good to go. Here's my turn-in post, with pics of the Final Item:
The Rocky Mountain Ironside Dragon is a native of the mountain range that stretches much of the length of the North American continent. Like most dragons, it reclusive, aided by its natural camoflage, which blends in with the rocks and lichen at the highest altitudes. Its camoflage is chameleon-like in nature; while limited to a range of greys, greens and browns, a Rocky Mountain Ironside can blend into its surroundings to great effect, making it a dangerous - and highly effective - predator.


Dragonologist Humphrey "Hawkeye" Pertwee, last known photo.
Only known image of a Rocky Mountain Ironside hunting.
Note the delicate stippling on the ridge over its brow (appx. 0.5m behind Mr. Pertwee's head).


Hatchling Rocky Mountain Ironside. Approximately 0.3m.
Wings sprout at approximately six months;
flight possible at two years.

In its natural, unthreatened/unhunting state, it appears to be a mottled green and grey. I have crafted a shawl reminiscent of the hide of a Rocky Mountain Ironside, showing the colors and mottling as they might appear on the creature's wing:


I will also never again wander around in the Rockies without a good sword and one of those Dragon-Away(tm) whistles!
Again, this isn't a *complete* Ashton Shawlette; I didn't have enough yarn to finish the second half of the last chart, so a real Ashton is much pointier along the edges than this. (See the actual Pattern Page for better pics of what it really should look like!) The following snaps are just so you can see the pattern a bit better. And because I was having fun with my camera.

So, that's all six classes done for January, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...