Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Knitting with Nothin' to Show for it...

Well, I'm running on minimum sleep for no good reason, other than I was trying to knit when I was running on less sleep. This is never a good idea... but by the time I realize this, I've usually spent several hours trying to knit something that would've gone much faster later if I'd taken a nap/slept through the night instead of trying to finish. The object in question was, of course, the second Twilight Mitt. All of yesterday, given frogging, inability to find fresh batteries for my headlamp, and the distraction of television (I love The Big Bang Theory), I am now on row 57. That's . . . twelve? thirteen? ... up from yesterday. *Sigh.*

Anyway, the mitt looks about like it did yesterday, so another picture isn't really worth it. I can, however, blather on about how I got the pattern for the second mitt. The first mitt's instructions are "knit across the row of the chart, then knit that same row back the other way to make a round." So, for the second mitt, you just start at the left edge of the chart instead of the right, right? Oh HECK no. My brain barely got through transposing going the "usual" way. So, I had to mirror-image the chart, and then re-mark my size-downs. (I knit really loosely. And I have small hands. There was no way I was getting gauge unless I used something absurd like size 0000 needles and much thinner yarn. And I love this yarn, it's soft and fun and floopy.) To wit:


You can see where the actual (non-mirror-image) pattern goes, and that it wasn't all that hard to size it down, but it still looks like the original, so people will say "Oh, those are Laura Rintala's Winter Twilight Mitts," which is the point, because I wouldn't have come up with something like this on my own!

And, just because, here's a picture of a very blurry azalea bud that's trying to come out at my mother's house. In MID-OCTOBER.


Silly little thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your tracks here...